Monday, November 29, 2010

Flow Gently, Sweet Afton.


It's a dark Monday night. I am supposed to be writing a paper about religious transformation but I'm suffering a terrible case of writers block so I figure maybe this will help me? Last week I headed home to my parents for some MUCH-NEEDED relaxation. It was delightful to spend time with my family. The thing that I realized is that the rehumanization of Ann is no joke. I have taken the school process too seriously this semester and I have lost sight of the joy. So, now that finals are a week away I've decided to forget the studying... which is a laugh since there is no way that I could forget studying. But, I am determined to allow myself to enjoy life and the here and now. Why am I telling you this? Because you get to help me. Let's enjoy life together. Let's have a cup of coffee and talk about all the things we love. Let's go Christmas tree shopping together and bake Christmas cookies. Away with the sad, lonely existence. I am announcing my arrival. I am back, let's embrace this life together!
From here on out I am going to embrace the literal biscuits. Have I told you about biscuits? I apologize if I haven't! In Ezekiel there is a passage where he prays to die but instead of granting this wish, God sends him an angel with a biscuit who tells him "arise and eat for the journey is too long." All month long I have been searching for biscuits to encourage me on a journey too long for me to handle. Without fail, God has sent them. The journey is too long for me, but I am re-energized by little biscuits sent from heaven. My favorite song playing after an unfortunate and disappointing conversation. Christmas lights on the way home. Sunshine and pine-trees on a warm winter's day. Bread pudding baking in the oven. Soy Eggnog (betcha didn't even know they made that!) Unexpected deep conversations. Unexplainable hope and energy. These are my biscuits. They might seem funny or illogical to you, but to me, they make the difference between hope and despair. They represent those daily little messages from God that tell me I'm going to be ok, maybe even better than ok, because God has taken me and now whether I turn to the right or the left, I can hear his voice saying "this is the way, walk in it my beloved!"

No comments:

Post a Comment