Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hope


A vortex of school and work and life has seemed to suck up all free reflection time that I have had this semester. Oh well... Here I am now, there is a brief free moment in my life and I have this tremendous urge to share what I've been reading with the world around me so I suppose this medium will have to do... I'm in the process of doing research right now for a paper on the reconstruction of South Africa. I'm writing about the roll which art had in the reconciliation and expression of individual experiences. I love this topic because art is something that I am so passionate about. And just so that we're clear, by art I mean paintings, music, poetry, drama, lots of different forms. Today I sat under a tree, by a lake, on campus reading "Come and Hope With Me." It blew me away with its incredible dignity and beauty and I was overcome with the sense that "yes! this is what I love! This is what I want to communicate with the world!" So congratulations you, you have the privilege of hearing some of the most beautiful words around tonight!

Come and Hope With Me, by Mongane Wally Serote.

come
i need you when i dream
when i hope
when i fight
come, i need you

we must you and i
when history repeats itself
we must return
to dream and hope and fight
for the best for all of us
that is why we are here
come and hope with me oh child
come

we must you and i when history repeats itself
we must return
to dream
to hope
to fight
for the beauty of human life is that we came here to think
and to plan
and to see the future
and to know and to drink and to eat and to have a home

come
when it is lonely
when they have frightened me
when with their noises and footsteps
with their trucks and horses
when they have come for you and for me
and the stars are a witness
and the moon is a witness
and the sun is a witness
when history repeats itself

come
come and be with me
come and hope and dream with me
come my friend and be with me
come let's repeat history together

when history repeats itself
let's deliver humanness to the knowledge of human beings
come
and hope and dream with me
when we prepare for war for peace
come and fight in your heart
come with truth
come with knowledge for life
come and be with me


I know this is a really long quote, but I can't bring myself to cut any of it out. The imagery of sharing passion between the human spirit, the communion of dedication between individuals, it is beautiful. This is why art is important in reconciliation! This poem is a cry from one heart to another. It transcends logic to create human connection and meaning in the midst of destruction and despair. It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment