Wednesday, November 17, 2010

True Freedom


It's COLD! Somewhere between yesterday when I left work, and this morning when I left for school, winter arrived, quietly slipping into my world to remind me that, yes, you have to wear a coat to school. I slept through my alarm this morning, scurried to get ready, realized I had no coffee in the house, rushed to class, felt like I had the flu and then watched District 9 with my classmates so then I felt like I had the flu even more: let's be honest, pulling fingernails off onscreen is just disturbing! By the time it was noon, I was feeling harried and sad. But then I walked out of class and and the brisk wind smelled like snow and I realized: I love this time of year! Why am I complaining??? I decided to forget about the plan I had made more my day so I sent to the grocery store on the way home from school to buy a bunch of apples and bake all afternoon. As I was walking into the store, the bell-ringer from the Salvation Army was singing Christmas carols with abandon and joy. Her mood put my mood into a better spirit and I almost danced through the grocery store anticipating a cozy afternoon of baking and listening to Christmas carols. When I got home I set to work peeling the colorful apples and making up my own recipe. Yes, Paula Deen and Julia Child would be so proud. Instead of following someone else's thoughts, I decided to make up my own. The result is marvelous and I have faith that though I may fail my classes this semester, I will be able to stand with all of the courage of my convictions behind me and say that I ate WELL this semester and I was happy. After this afternoon I feel human again. What a joy. Now, all I have to do is find some willing persons to help me finish the apple delight....

No comments:

Post a Comment