Monday, November 15, 2010

"I get a kick out of you..."

How about a bit more light-hearted post??? Tonight I'm feeling rather fine. I had a great day of accomplishment and studying which feels pretty sweet. Yesterday's sermon was about doing everything heartily as unto the Lord. That we don't necessarily have to be a pastor or a missionary to be living in God's will and spreading the gospel. So with that in mind, I wrote papers heartily as unto the Lord today. What a trip! : )

Now, I thought that tonight I'd share a few titches and tidbits with you all, my cyber family.
- - I have found myself laughing quite a bit recently over little things. Friday night my mom and I were packing boxes to send to underprivileged children all over the world. I wanted so badly to make my box beautiful to bless this little girl or boy but I could not, no matter how hard I tried, manage to wrap it neatly. The paper tore; it crinkled, and by the time I finished the box looked more like a jumpled mess of crumpled, taped, tissue paper, than the beautiful masterpiece I'd seen in my mind's eye. I had to laugh at my total lack artistic ability. Maybe my box will make it's way to a kindred spirit who will understand the jumbled mass...
- - Sunday my parent's and siblings came over for a little Sunday dinner. I was so excited to get to be entertaining and so I decided to make these delicious chocolate chip cookies. It was a great idea, make my house smell like cookies and all, but somehow it just didn't quite work again. I didn't have the right ingredients so I improvised and though they tasted good, there was a little sparkle missing from them... I had to laugh at the little brown blobs... Julia Child says you have to have the courage of your convictions when you cook but I have courage of my conviction coming out my ears so perhaps I should start developing my grocery list...
- - Saturday afternoon a close friend of mine came to spend the day with me. It was a picture perfect afternoon of laughing until we cried and running around the Nelson like a couple of giddy middle schoolers. Some friends you can just click with even after months of absence. Saturday was an afternoon of clicking. The weather was perfect, the breeze was whispering, the sun was shining. We tiptoed through the mummies and the Monets and the Cezannes and then we ran laughing through the green grass letting out the energy which we had suppressed in the museum. We walked through the plaza with our coffee admiring the water in Brush Creek and watching the wind whip flags from far away places: Spain, Ivory Coast, Japan... I had to laugh. Here we are, two girls from Kansas and Nebraska, spending a precious afternoon away from reality laughing over tiny things. It was a moment of total joy.
EDIT:: Check out the girl with photography skills who just happens to be my sister and who just happened to be cool enough to document this moment... artandelephants.blogspot.com
- - I could certainly keep going. I have discovered laughter is the stuff which makes this dark reality so much brighter. I laugh at everything now. I laugh when my car breaks down and there isn't money in my bank account. I laugh because I know that these things are a part of something bigger and deeper and it makes me excited because isn't that what we're all longing for? To go deeper, bigger, longer, into meaning and truth and beauty? Even when we laugh to keep from crying, or when we cry even as we're laughing, we all long for that depth and that is why we persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment