Thursday, September 15, 2011

The One Where I Lived the Dream



When I was a little girl, one of my favorite books of all time was a James Harriot story called "The Christmas Day Kitten." In this story, a little kitten shows up at a lonely lady's home on Christmas morning. I was always drawn to the way how sad both the lady and the kitten were at the beginning of the book and how happy they made each other at the end. I think I thought it was cool that they were able to help each other and make life easier.

This week. Yesterday to be exact. I actually watched this story take place FOR REAL. I was walking from Murphy Hall (music building) to Watson (library).... no wait, back up. A few weeks ago, I was sitting on campus outside enjoying the day when I was certain I saw a kitten go running by. I dismissed it though because, well, why would there be cats on campus? Back to real time. Yesterday as I was doing my late afternoon walk, I saw a very old lady sitting in the middle of the sidewalk next to a bush. I was confused at first. Then I saw her take food out of her bag and push it into the bush. Naturally I stopped. What could she be doing? I wondered.

I perched myself next to her on the sidewalk and asked her this question. She laughed and pointed into the bush. There I saw, not one, but four cats. A huge, lusciously white tom cat. A small, prim, gray tabby. And two beautiful, sleek kittens. They stared back out at me with as much astonishment that I had found their hiding place as I had in seeing them.

How long has they lived here? I asked. And then Carol (our cat-rescuer's name) began to tell me about a winter ten years ago when she was walking around campus on Thanksgiving. During this particular walk, she noticed a little calico cat following her crying. Upon closer examination, she realized that the cat was pregnant, and so very hungry. So she carried the kitty, which she named Lady, home to feed and care for. And so began this process which has led to ten years of carrying food and shelter to these tiny cats who, instead of living ferral homeless lives, have found themselves the most loving and compassionate mother imaginable.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness. i remember reading this story every night when i was little. oh, this brings back so many memories :)

    ReplyDelete