Friday, August 27, 2010

New Direction

Little did you know when you happened upon "adventures of a jayhawk" that this was going to be more than your average, run-of-the-mill blog. You see friends, I am an English Lit major. The thing about being an English major is that you read thousands of pages a semester and you take on thoughts, ideas, images, ideals... which would never have crossed your mind in ordinary day to day life. The beauty of this is that you experience LIFE as others live it. The darker side to this, is that you are exposed to many, many sad ways of life and there is little or nothing you can do about it. I'm speaking most specifically about my South African Fiction, Politics, and Culture class. We read works by authors who have experienced indescribable nightmares and who have chosen to share those nightmares with the rest of us who are sharing their world. The horror that any humans could push down any other group of humans so violently, so cruelly, is almost unbelievable to this Suburban American, and yet, it is still going on and we choose to turn the other way... Ok, so my excitement has put me up on a soap box and I've just preached at you. My apologies. All of this little soliloquy leads to my point. In order to make sense of what I've read and experienced and in an effort to improve my grades(!) I am choosing to share my experiences with literature with you. Prepare yourself. What we read is real, heart-breaking, LIFE. It is not pretty, but it is true and if we are willing, it can change us.

No comments:

Post a Comment